Monday, 26 November 2012 16:32

Big Update - We've been busy... Featured

Written by
Rate this item
(0 votes)

 

Busy, busy, busy.  Between work and everything else, it's been tough to keep this updated.  I have a slew of updates, so, let's not delay any longer.

Here's a shot of the garage door and a general interior shot.....

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Let's move on....Shot of the meter box and service conduit...The sidewalk appears as well....Trench dug for water and low voltage for the garage.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Back inside the building.....Service panel wiring has begun....

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

With power to the building, and interior wiring completed.  Insulation can begin.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Insulation complete, walls could start going up.  I went with OSB on the walls.  This isn't a finished product, and won't be smooth like drywall or other products.  I choose it for a few reasons.

  • First, it's affordable - less costly than plywood, or drywall (once you factor in installation costs).
  • Second, it installs quickly.
  • Third, you can hang things off of it with little trouble - in many cases, you won't even need a stud.
  • Fourth, it'll take abuse.

So, some photos of that process.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I also figured now would be a good time to do a test with the fiber converters, fiber cable, and my network extension plans.  Fortunately, everything worked without a hitch on the first try.

I found a great deal on some pre-terminated cable on ebay - 30m of ST terminated cable for less than $20 shipped.  New in a wrapper - hard to pass up.  After a bit more searching, I found a Startech fiber to ethernet converter for less than $50.  I purchased two and decided to give this a try.  I ran the fiber in my conduit from the house to the garage - hooked up the converters and success!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ok.....ceilings and walls done.....What's next?  Paint....

This is where OSB presents one disadvantage over other wall coverings.  Namely - it'll drink paint.  The best option is to apply an oil-based primer first, then paint over it.

I, however, didn't have that option.  I had limited time to get the painting done so we could start with lighting.  Also, the weather had turned cold - making the use of anything oil-based a tricky proposition at best.

So, I went a different route.  I applied PVA primer - which is often used for new drywall.  This product is designed to go on thick, dry quickly, and seal instantly.

With a few exceptions, this worked really well for my application.  In fact, it worked well enough that I ditched the idea of a paint top coat.  Here's some shots of the painting process.

I started with a test patch.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Happy with the initial results of the test, I continued with the walls.  My neighbors (Brandon and Marshall) also stopped by and were enticed to help.

They knocked out the ceiling in a few hours - it was amazing....

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Read 3882 times Last modified on Monday, 26 November 2012 19:37